1. The glorious feeling of sweatpants after a long, exhausting day.
2. Setting your alarm clock for 30 minutes early– just to be able to snooze twice.
3. Starbucks Fridays. ‘Nuff said.
4. Making a student (who never smiles) laugh.
5. Helping a thug of a student right before a test, and the earnest thank you that follows.
6. After-school non-content related conversations with students. Hilarity.
7. Finding out the most random, fun, details about your students, like they speak Persian at home with their parents, or call their car Ruthie.
8. When the students draw you a picture. Even highschoolers.
9. Your students giving you a list of music to “youtube”– including indie techno.
10. Dark chocolate m&ms mysteriously left in the teacher’s lounge. (I later found out a chemistry teacher used them for a lab and had leftovers. Thank God for science.)
11. When other students try to reach out to the quiet kid.
Full-time teaching has commenced. Next week I start teaching for real. So far, so fun. I still love my students, and the chill-factor of today was such a fun time to get to know them. I got to do a lot of one-on-one explaining of things (stem-changing verbs in the present tense), which was really fun… even explaining the same thing over and over and over and over. Considering I’m not always the best at giving verbal directions (teacher? I know) that was good practice for me being very concise and wise with my word choice.
I remember when my sister was in nursing school and talked about doing IVs and stuff, one day she was like, “I just wanna do it! I just wanna stick someone! I’m tired of waiting!” and I totally understand where she was coming from. I am so ready to just teach something. Even if it flops, even if it sucks, even if I cry in the middle of it…I just wanna do it. I just wanna stick someone.
So here’s some random photos that I don’t think I’ve blogged yet. I was just lookin’ through stuff and found this series that just makes me smile. The friendship between these two is just precious.